Chapel of Our Lady of Los Remedios

Capilla Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios, 32003

See on the map

Chapel attached to the Old Bridge, with which it forms a National Historic Monument. Its popular feast is celebrated on September 8th.

ES Capilla de Os Remedios | GL Capela dos Remedios

This chapel attached to the Old Bridge, with which it forms a national historic monument since 1961, was founded by the Méndez Montoto family in 1522. A stone statue of Our Lady of Los Remedios is kept inside; its feast, held on September 8th, brings together a a lot of participants.

On the façade, very simple, there are just two coats of arms of the family on both sides of the portico. The interior consists of a nave and two side naves separated by columns. Close to the altarpiece is the marble tomb of Francisco Méndez Montoto, judge, alderman and attorney general of the city (1450-1550).

The field where it is located was the site of duels and challenges, travelling circuses, bullrings, the first power plant in Ourense, fairgrounds and markets.

The field where it is located was the site of duels and challenges, travelling circuses, bullrings, the first power plant in Ourense, fairgrounds and markets. It is currently occupied by sports facilities. In the little gardens on the other side of the road stands a sculpture by Antonio Faílde, brought from the Casa de Campo in Madrid where it was part of the Trade Fair.

Recently a large fire caused considerable damage to the chapel, but today it is restored.